It only made sense to compile my favorite resources here so I can direct future sleep deprived folks to this page instead of going through all the leg work of emailing the links. Bottom line, there is a reason (or ten) that you can't fall asleep, stay asleep, or awake feeling terrible. Experts like Ben Greenfield, Robb Wolf, and Dave Asprey to name a few have dedicated their lives to hacking these and other issues so I will pass along their researched/tested findings. I attempted to summarize key points but if it's too general then click on the links to drink from the fire hose.
FACTS: For the Sleep Deprived Elite (i.e. Barack Obama, Dean Karnazes, Martha Stewart or Donald Trump) who report sleeping 4-5 hours/night:
Ben G's Four Hacks for Better Sleep
*I recommend starting with step two and then branching out from there. Visit the link below for all the information you could ever want about brainwaves, grounding, where to find/purchase tech/products etc.*
1. Wake with the sun...or simulate it. Two light tools he recommends for this are:
-NatureBright Sun Touch for morning light therapy
-Sunrise Alarm Clock for waking
2. LIMIT ARTIFICIAL LIGHT AFTER DARK--this is likely one we are all guilty of and can easily fix through use of blackout curtains, sleep masks, blue light blockers on electronics.
3. Switch from Beta to Alpha--Use Sound to put you to sleep and keep you there.
“3 Hz Binaural Pure Sine Delta Wave And Rain For Deep Sleep”
4. Get Grounded. Watch the trailer on the left and the film here... watch the entire film for free here.
Read more: http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/07/get-better-sleep/#ixzz336xqVCoX
Seven Supps than can help you sleep: http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/07/the-last-resource-youll-ever-need-to-get-better-sleep-eliminate-insomnia-beat-jet-lag-and-master-the-nap-part-2/
The link above will all discuss how to take a better nap and how to track your sleep habits through use of tech apps.
And my FAVORITE...some root causes to include:
1. Intestinal Parasites
4. Mineral Imbalances/Adrenal Fatigue