To get you started...listen to this podcast about the new book, Rich Food, Poor Food, as heard on the Ben Greenfield Podcast: http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/02/healthy-grocery-shopping-list/. Rich food is high in micro-nutrients which are the key to feeling amazing and looking/performing your personal best.
Easy Nutrition Homework
Assess the current quality of your food intake using the following steps. This is a cursory overview that will set you up to go further into detail in upcoming steps. For now,
- Keep a basic list of all the food you put into your mouth.
- Tally how many items fall into the "clean protein" category. For starters we'll consider "clean" to be how it is prepared, grilled, baked, steamed, etc without vegetable oils, breading or other crap mixed in. Additional "clean designators" are to follow later to include hormone, antibiotic free sources.
- How many types of vegetables did you consume in one day?
- How many servings of veggies did you consume....2 slices of tomato are not a serving. Your whole sandwich may have contained four types of veggies but only one total serving.
- How many types/servings of fruit did you consume?
- How many types/servings of healthy fats did you consume?
- How many items did you consume that fall into the "Other category?" Not all things in this category are deal-breakers, however, in order to achieve a lean body composition, reduce inflammation (i.e. promote healing, reduce pain) you want this category to contribute no more that 10% to your daily intake. This includes processed foods, dairy, grains, added sugars, anything you can't pronounce or explain the origin.
Example One Day Diet @ a Glance:
Fiber 1 Bar
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
White Cheddar Cheese-It's
Small Piece of chocolate
Roast w/ Brown Rice
Piece of Red Velvet Cake
Your goal tally will look something like this:
Veggie--6 different types/servings
Fruit--2-3 different types/servings--but only once you hit four veggie servings!
Healthy Fats--3-6 servings
Other--1 or less
Pre-made egg muffins with pastured eggs (order locally from Mini Miracles Farm and they will deliver to your house!) and your favorite veggies.
2 oz beef jerky and handful coconut flakes
Leftover chicken/roast with a large salad topped with walnuts and a drizzle of EVOO. Great Roast Chicken Recipe!
Green apple with handful pecans
Crock Pot Dinner...30 options! (lunch is ready for rest of the week!)
Easy guide to portion sizes: